While Amy and I have a bit of a rest this week after an awesome time during Rad Sex & Consent Week, check out this awesome event taking place this Wednesday:
Paying too much for rent?
Have to travel a long way to get to uni?
Can’t afford to move out?
Come to our PAJAMA PARTY WITH A POLITICAL AGENDA!
The Melb Uni Student Union is holding a sleepover to raise awareness of student housing problems. We are building a community of students to take direct action in pressuring the University and government to confront the Melbourne housing crisis. We will be sleeping the night in Union House from 6.30pm with a range of activities planned (games, film screening, book readings, sing-alongs, BIG social change to name a few). There will be dinner and breakfast provided by the wonderful food co-op. BYO sleeping bag.
Rough time plan:
6pm start – meet in the second floor rooms opposite the Rowden White library to bagsy a good sleeping spot
6.30pm – Informal discussion with Roger Deutsche from the Univeristy Housing Services
7pm – Co-op dinner served outside the co-op
7.30pm – Informal presentation about greening your home if you are renting
8pm – Get to know you games and super fun times
9pm – Discussion about direct action in pressuring the Uni to make change
10pm – Banner making and supper
11pm – Movie screening/sleepy time
7.30am – BREAKFAST!
What you may want to bring:
- Sleeping bag and mat
- P.Js or thermals (recommendable)
- Musical instruments
- Towel if you’re keen to shower in the Union showers
- An open mind!
Also to keep in mind:
- You can rock up or leave at any time, feel free to just come for activities if you don’t feel comfortable sleeping over
- There will be a quiet space where you can crawl off to sleep at any time
- The womyns room will be open for female identifying people to sleep in if they feel more comfortable in a purely female space
- This is an alcohol and drug free event
- Security will be present for the night
- We will be enforcing a one meter rule in which students cannot come within one meter of each other to prevent any funny business (this is a JOKE, consensual snuggle trains all around)
We will be doing flash mobbing and handing out flyers in our sleeping bags and pyjamas tomorrow. Meet at 9am in the enviro office if you want to get involved. We will be providing breaky for those that help out!
Can’t wait! Invite every Melb Uni student you know!